Those who have lost a significant amount of weight (usually 100 pounds or more) are often left with excess skin on the abdomen, back, buttocks, and flanks. The body lift procedure, also called “circumferential abdominoplasty,” contours the entire circumference of the waistline and lifts the thighs and buttocks in one procedure. With unwanted skin removed, Dr. Morales’ patients experience increased mobility, comfort, and confidence.
- Removes excess skin from the waist, back, buttocks, and flanks
- Scars or stretch marks on the removed skin are eliminated
- Repairs and tightens loosened or separated abdominal muscles
Body lift surgery is performed as an inpatient procedure with an overnight stay recommended. The procedure usually takes about four to five hours to complete, during which general anesthesia is used. An incision is made circumferentially around the body beginning at the lower abdomen and going around the lower back just above the bottocks. The techniques for abdominoplasty will be performed first, which include removing excess fat, tightening the abdominal muscles, and relocating the navel to its anatomically correct position. Excess skin is removed from the posterior side of the body, which will improve the buttocks and thighs.
Things to Consider
- Those considering a body lift should be done having children or at least not plan to have children in the next five years, as pregnancy will reverse the results of the tummy tuck portion of the procedure.
- Patients who see the best results are finished with their weight loss journey and have maintained their weight for several months before undergoing the procedure.
The recovery period for body lift surgery is four to six weeks, but younger patients sometimes feel well enough to return to regular activity after two weeks. Pain and swelling can be managed with medication as well as an optional “pain medication pump” than can be worn beneath clothing for the first three days. Compression garments will also ease discomfort and accelerate the healing process.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you would like more information about the body lift procedure or if you would like to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Morales, please call (214) 827-8407 today. For your convenience, you may also fill out our online contact form.