Women have always been expected to follow the most recent fashion trends and maintain their looks. Men have the opposite of these societal norms. Masculinity has always been defined by how “tough” or rugged a man looks or acts. Men aren’t supposed to care about fashion, skin care, and what’s “hip” in today’s pop culture.
The term “metrosexual” is an expression for men who care about their looks and the latest fashion trends. Some men find that being metrosexual is not the “manly” thing to do; however, the changes in culture and style are starting to say otherwise. More men are beginning to care more about their appearance and want a more youthful look. The rise of the metrosexual is causing more men to break into the plastic surgery market.
Men Care About Their Looks!
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, plastic surgery and skin care trends for men show beauty products are not only for the ladies anymore. Men accounted for 47 percent of the health and beauty items that were purchased in 2011, and 19 percent of men admitted to using their female partners’ skin care products. Men are seeking plastic surgery options to improve their face or body as it is becoming more acceptable in today’s society.
So, What Are Men Trying to Achieve?
A Refreshed and Youthful Face
Wrinkles, fine lines, and creases are an inevitable part of aging. Even with over-the-counter products and a healthy skin care regimen, getting rid of aging indicators can be difficult. Men have a tendency to develop wrinkles and sagging skin in the upper eyelids and sagging tissue in the lower face. Eyelid surgery and facelift surgery are among the top requested facial procedures for men.
- Eyelid surgery: Restores a more alert and friendly appearance around the eyes by removing loose skin and bags in the upper and/or lower eyelids
- Lower facelift/neck lift: Creates a strong, masculine jawline and rejuvenates the neck by removing loose skin and fat deposits from the bottom part of the face
A More Defined Nasal Structure
The nose is positioned in the middle of the face, making it an important feature that defines overall facial harmony. Rhinoplasty, or nose surgery, continues to grow in demand in the male plastic surgery market. Nose surgery can correct unwanted aspects of the nose, such as nostrils that are too wide, a nasal hump, or a large nose. The size and shape of the nose are reconstructed during rhinoplasty to a create a nose that doesn’t stand out but instead, blends with the rest of the face.
A Firmer, More Masculine Chest
Masculine contours can define a man’s body. Some men suffer from excess breast tissue that causes the appearance of female-like breasts (gynecomastia). Others lack definition in general and want their chest to look more muscular. Dr. Morales offers a variety of procedures designed to address the chest area.
- Liposuction: Excess fat can be removed via a cannula hooked up to a vacuum device. Liposuction can be performed on any area that has excess fat. Common areas men address during liposuction are the chest, abdomen, love handles, and neck.
- Gynecomastia surgery: Enlarged breasts are corrected using liposuction, excision, or a combination of both. Excess breast tissue and skin are removed, and the chest is sculpted into a more masculine shape.
- Pectoral implants: Implants are placed on the chest to add definition to create larger, more toned pectorals. Some men combine pectoral implants with liposuction to address the surrounding areas to enhance the entire upper body.
If you are a man seeking a more youthful, masculine appearance, schedule your consultation with Dr. Morales today! He can go over all of the male plastic surgery procedures we have to offer. Contact us by calling (214) 827-8407 or by filling out our online contact form.